Cervical cancer, the second commonest cancer in the world kills up to 300,000 women annually with over 80% from developing countries, including Nigeria. Cervical cancer is common in Nigeria because awareness of the disease is low even among health care providers and a lack of effective screening programs. Loving Gaze-St Kizito Clinic has for the past 8 years, validated low cost cervical cancer screening using VIA/ VILI and successfully organized interactive, intensive and practical workshops on cervical cancer screening among various cadres of health care providers within and outside Lagos State in the Public, private and nonprofit sector. With a large number of Nigerians assessing health care privately, there is need to strengthen cervical cancer screening training in the private health sector to ensure its ability to provide this service to their clients and patients.
Training Objective: To train private health care providers on cervical cancer screening using Low cost methods visual inspection using acetic acid and lugol’s iodine ( VIA/VILI)
Methodology: 3 intensive training course followed by 3 days for practical sessions (to be done within 3 weeks after the theory).
Trainees: Comprise health care professionals involved in clinic consultation, community health mobilization and reproductive health, community health officers, nurses, midwives and medical officers. Being female may be an advantage.
At the end of the course, participants should be able to
– Organize and set up cervical cancer screening unit using low cost method
– Organize mobilization of women towards screening
– Conduct VIA / VILI screening method among clients; interpret results and follow up adequately
– Prepare reagents and instruments for screening
– Be familiar with related procedures and services including Pap smear, HPV Vaccination, cryotherapy and colposcopy.
– Document and disseminate relevant information adequately.
– Dates: 15th -17th April 2015 Intensive Training Course followed by 3 days for practical sessions (to be completed within 3 weeks after the theory)
– the training will be run at Arthur Mbanefo Digital Research Centre, Tafawa Balewa Way, Main campus, University of Lagos, Akoka-Yaba, Lagos
– the practical sessions will be run at the St Kizito Clinics (Jakunde, Lekki and Idi-Araba)
Fee: 90,000 Naira
For more info download the invitation and admissions, email firstname.lastname@example.org